62-year-old trapped inside capsized sailboat survives 16 hours in frozen Atlantic

A 62-year-old Frenchman survived after being trapped in a bubble for 16 hours inside a capsized sailboat in the Atlantic Ocean off Galicia, Spain, on Tuesday afternoon. According to CNN. The man, who has not been named, spent the night in cold water before being rescued.

While the Spanish coastguard was alerted to a sailor distress signal at 8.23pm on Monday, the sea was too dangerous to attempt a rescue dive, According to the BBCDivers said the man’s survival could not be guaranteed due to conditions.

“‘On the edge of the impossible, in action against the clock, in rough seas, at night, 15 miles from shore, in the middle of nowhere,'” Twitter Maritime Safety and Rescue Association on Wednesday. “Yesterday we successfully completed the rescue of the French crew who had been in the capsized sailboat in Malpica for 16 hours.”

Tracking data confirmed the man set sail from the Portuguese capital Lisbon on Sunday. According to the GuardianThe search for his boat, which required three helicopters and a rescue boat, included five divers who found the man’s 40-foot-long body about 15 miles from the Cisargas Islands off Galicia. boat, named Jeanne Solo Sailor.

While he couldn’t save him yet, a brave diver used a winch to descend from one of the helicopters, attaching buoyancy balloons to the boat and keeping it afloat until conditions improved. Divers also confirmed the sailor was alive by tapping the hull to return from the inside.

Dramatic footage shared on Wednesday by the Spanish Maritime Safety and Rescue Association Two divers bravely carried out the rescue on Tuesday afternoon. They found the sailor in a neoprene suit and submerged his knees just for him to jump into the water.

Vincent Cobelo, a member of the Coast Guard Special Forces, said: “He actively dived into the water and freedive with the help of divers who had to pull him out of the water because it was difficult for him to get in the water in a suit. .”team.

The sailor was then airlifted and briefly hospitalized, but was released without injury shortly after.

This Coast Guard tweets“Every life saved is our greatest reward.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.