DETROIT — Detroit Tigers star Miguel Cabrera clarified his stance on retirement Friday, saying he plans to play in 2023.
“I’m not going to retire,” he told the Detroit News. “Until next year after my contract is finished. They don’t understand what I’m saying. I’m never going to give up.”
Cabrera, who has been plagued by knee problems for the past few years, hit .308 on July 6 and joined the 500-homer, 3,000-hit club.
Since then, he’s hit a .125 home run and two doubles in 21 games. Tigers manager AJ Hinch said he will try to play Cabrera every other day in Detroit’s current home game, with the slugger not in the lineup for Friday’s game against the Tampa Bay Rays.
“He’s hurting”:Tigers star Miguel Cabrera speaks openly about knee issues
Subscribe to our sports newsletter:All the sports news you need to know sent straight to you!
Cabrera made no mention of retirement on Thursday, but talked about wanting to understand his future role.
“Right now, I don’t know,” he said. “We’re focused on day in and day out and see what happens. I’m not thinking about next year.”
On Friday, he made sure everyone knew next year was going to be at Comerica Park.
“Next year will be much better,” he said. “Next year, I’ll be there.”